Recently I had the pleasure of traveling to San Diego the self-proclaimed American capital of Craft Beer. Of course I had to do a little research of my own while visiting this amazing city. Here is the short abstract of a tasteful field trip to some of the exceptional beer places in San Diego.
Probably one of the most known craft breweries in San Diego would be Ballast Point in Little Italy. It is best know for it’s Sculpin IPA but has a very good collection of various traditional beer styles.
- Mango Even Keel Session IPA – A ton of citrusy, herbal hop flavour with low ABV.
- Wahoo White – Belgian Witbier with sweet orange peel and coriander.
- Homework #8 – Hefeweizen dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria hops.
Modern Times Brewery
The Modern Times runs a Tasting Room in Northern Park and a brewery in Midway District of San Diego. With it focus on aroma-driven, flavorful, and complex beers you’ll find besides fruity IPAs a good selection of sour beers.
The Modern Times Brewery in Midway District:
- Asteroid Cowboy – A dry-hopped kettle sour IPA
IPA | 7.0% | 90 IBU
- Fruitlands w/ Blood Orange & Hibiscus – A sour gose that’s tart, fruity, complex, and delicious.
GOSE | 4.8% | 15 IBU
- Monsters´ Park Aged In Bourbon Barrels w/ Coconut & Cocoa Nibs – Our hulking, cantankerous imperial stout, aged in fagrant, oaky bourbon barrels.
IMPERIAL STOUT | 13.7% | 60 IBU
Council Brewing Co – Community & Craftsmanship
Imagining an independent homemade brewery, the Council, from all the others I visited during my stay in San Diego, would be the closest to what it would like. With scarce furnished interior located in a commercial district of San Diego it is a hidden treasury hard to find.
The barrel-aged sour beers is what got me here in the first place.
- Not Your Normal Pumkin Beer – Barrel Aged Saison
- Beatitude Boysenberry – Imperial Tart Saison Aged In Burbon Barrels
- Questionable Advice – Hazy Juicy IPA
- Bully Pulpit – IPA Mosaic & Simcoe
Pizza Port – Ocean Beach
In need for a pizza and a refreshing beer the Pizza Port in San Diego Ocean Beach would sure be the place to go to. Located within the old fishermen district of Ocean Beach San Diego in close distance to the beach this is surely also a nice area to hang out.
- Smoked – Smoked Amber Ale
- Tuff – IPA with American, New Zealand, and Australian Hops
- Party Pat – Stout
- Party Pat Burbon Barrel-Aged – Stout